Hypocrisy at it’s finest: I can eat whatever I want, but you and your children need to eat healthier!
First lady Michelle Obama ordered a whopper of a meal at the newlyopened Washington diner Shake Shack during lunch on Monday.
A Washington Post journalist on the scene confirmed the first lady, who’s made a cause out of child nutrition, ordered a ShackBurger, fries, chocolate shake and a Diet Coke while the street and sidewalk in front of the usually-packed Shake Shack were closed by security during her visit.
According to nutritional information on Shake Shack’s Web site, the meal amounted to 1,556 calories.
I don’t think anyone has ever argued that a healthy diet can’t include indulgences.
Also, I have yet to understand why anyone thinks working to provide healthier, higher quality lunches for school children is so scandalous. God forbid kids get decent meals in school!
While I understand that she does push healthier and quality meals provided in schools (which is the only meal some kids get every day) she does it in a very sizeist and wrong way. She supports other get-fit celebrity programs (such as the one on Disney Channel, where all their fat stars seem to miraculously disappear), as well that pair health with thinness.
Not to mention, her Lets Move! campaign is guided by the Obesity Task Force, an organization that is largely funded by pharmaceutical and weight loss companies. In fact, almost every obesity ’expert’ has received financial support from the $46-billion weight loss industry. These are the people that are supporting her, encouraging her, funding these campaigns, and probably where she’s getting all her ‘facts’ from. You know those places that still rely on the pseudo-science known as the BMI?
I am ALL for spreading the value of nutrition and trying to increase the quality of school foods (especially when McDonald’s wouldn’t even buy the meat they give you), and introducing it into homes where they were not privileged enough to understand how nutrition works. That’s fine. But she’s doing more than that, she’s pushing an anti-obesity campaign that only PROFITS off of your humiliation and shame and that’s nothing more than another scheme to get more people on diets and pills and be in the hands of the media, weight loss companies, and the government, while simultaneously reinforcing the negative stereotypes on fat people.
So yeah, she’s a hypocrite.
Even if she is being a hypocrite, it is no ones’ right to police what she puts in her body, despite the fact that she is a part of a body-policing campaign. Who would even take the time to compile that list of calories? This seems like an exercise in futility. There are better ways to undermine body-policing movements than criticizing their advocates.
I dunno, though. If we can mock anti-gay pundits and politicians who get caught up in gay-sex scandals, because of the hypocrisy of it, how is this different? Someone who advocates something harmful and -ism-perpetuating for everyone else, but holds themself to a very different standard, deserves to catch shit for it.
I’m a bit uncomfortable with the fact that most people who see this really *are* just going to take a policing-Ms. Obama’s-body sort of attitude about it. But I think the premise is sound. I’m sorry, but anyone who is all “Kids need to eat less and be skinny! *noms huge cheeseburger*” deserves to be called a hypocrite for it.
143 Notes/ Hide
- rantingnraging reblogged this from greenstate and added:
- awesomeflashgames likes this
- xoribbit likes this
- swallowthecold reblogged this from shannibal-cannibal
- swallowthecold likes this
- navigatethestream reblogged this from madamethursday
- soufflegirloswinoswald reblogged this from liberalgirl and added:
- nowisgreater likes this
- hermione-ganja likes this
- unfilteredloving reblogged this from shannibal-cannibal
- abloodbuzzohio likes this
- tessaracked reblogged this from madamethursday and added:
- secretsong likes this
- kellyshambles likes this
- ickynicky likes this
- jwknott likes this
- madamethursday reblogged this from tessaracked and added:
- allcapsornocaps likes this
- pickledhappiness likes this
- therodentqueen likes this
- treatyoselfartie likes this
- leibodontreadthis likes this
- ladiosadelaluna likes this
- haleycue likes this
- lifesamystry reblogged this from coeur-de-porcelaine
- saturniarse likes this
- jubilantjezebel likes this
- sinisterchild likes this
- turkeygobbler likes this
- tvisionary likes this
- hairtrending reblogged this from bluntlyblue and added:
- casfucker reblogged this from shannibal-cannibal and added:
- anth0philous likes this
- coeur-de-porcelaine reblogged this from shannibal-cannibal and added:
- bzux likes this
- chee-neng-thao likes this
- auntybacteria reblogged this from shannibal-cannibal
- bluntlyblue reblogged this from shannibal-cannibal and added:
- qt-pi likes this
- abcsoupdot likes this
- sarahlee310 likes this
- shannibal-cannibal likes this
- random-ramblings likes this
- mar-see-ah likes this
- virtualanarchy reblogged this from nomosshere
- gingergeneral likes this
- hsnahr likes this
- texanpearl likes this
- lightfunktastic reblogged this from dantesinfernape and added:
- gildedisnotgolden likes this