there’s a post in the delenn tag about her being ‘essentially non-violent’ and i’m
really not sure how i feel about that
…wait are we like…even referring to the same character here? Because. Um.
Like my best read of Delenn would be basically that she is essentially a pragmatist.
She would like for the world to be nonviolent. And I think she truly believes, that when everyone is being the best version of themselves (and I see her trying to help people do that), that it’s entirely possible for such a world to exist. That’s the deeply spiritual, priestess-y side of her that’s most of what we see, the side Lennier refers to when he tells the other Minbari that she doesn’t walk in the same world as the rest of them, and in her world everyone is better than they are.
But she also understands that shit needs to get done. And that there are situations where violence is either the only option, or the one most likely to succeed. And when those come up, she is strong enough to accept that and is willing to pay the price for it. Part of that spiritual side of her is understanding that, well, sometimes you have to make a stand and fight for what matters. And sometimes it gets messy.
I do think she is more committed to trying to keep things non-violent when we see her in the series, than she was in her past. See: War, Earth-Minbari.
But I gotta say, someone who is essentially non-violent doesn’t make a skin-of-one’s-teeth getaway from the Drakh, then turn around two seconds later with death in her eyes and be like “Yeah we’re gonna go back and fuck their shit up. Come on, guys. Let’s do it.” Nor does an essentially non-violent person show up in warships, and respond to a “get out of my way” from an opposing force with “pffft bro you do realize I could blow you all to hell in the time it takes you to issue a single order, right? I suggest *you* get out of *my* way before I do exactly that.”
I wonder how many B5 fans are eventually going to own these little guys. We’ll have a world full of cute reptiles named G’Kar, Na’Toth, etc
Babylon 5 Asks
- Bester: Are you good at reading other people's thoughts and emotions?
- Byron: Are you the kind of person who fights for your rights?
- Cartagia: Are you ever just really random and unpredictable?
- Clark: Ever betrayed anyone?
- Corwin: Do you follow the rules?
- Delenn: Would you consider yourself a spiritual person?
- Franklin: Ever let personal issues get in the way of your work?
- Garibaldi: Any vices?
- G'Kar: Ever had a life-changing epiphany, and if so, what was it?
- Ivanova: Do you speak your mind?
- Keffer: Any obsessions?
- Kosh: Do people have trouble understanding you?
- Lennier: Ever let jealousy cloud your judgement?
- Lochley: Have you ever lost anyone close to you?
- Londo: What's the biggest mistake you ever made?
- Lyta: Do you sometimes feel like everyone's just using you?
- Marcus: Ever loved someone who didn't love you back?
- Morden: What do you want?
- Na'Toth: Do you ever feel like everyone has forgotten about you?
- Neroon: Are you a good fighter?
- Refa: Have you ever been blamed for something you didn't do?
- Sebastian: Who are you?
- Sheridan: Have you ever disregarded authority because you knew it was the right thing to do?
- Sinclair: Are you good at taking charge?
- Talia: Is there a side of yourself you hide from everyone else?
- Vir: How far would you go for your friends?
- Virini: Have you ever been forced to do something you didn't want to do?
- Zack: Do you have trouble knowing what the right thing to do is?
- Zathras: Do you ever feel like no one really listens to you?
- Cpt. Sheridan: I heard a good one today.
- Cpt. Sheridan: How many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
- Cmdr. Ivanova: I don't know sir, how many Minbari does it take to screw in a lightbulb?
- Cpt. Sheridan: None!
- Cpt. Sheridan: They always surrender right before they finish the job, and they never tell you why.
Randall: Captain Sheridan, Dan Randall, ISN News. Thank goodness, someone reasonable to talk to.
Ivanova: (To Randall) Oh thank you. (to Sheridan) He’s such a sweet talker.
Randall: She threatened to throw me by the collar and throw me out an airlock if I didn’t turn over a full manifest of our equipment.
OH MY GOD